Great Influx of Light at the Café de Paris in Monaco.
Since it first opened its doors more than 150 years ago, the Café de Paris has been one of the most emblematic places in Monaco. Located in the center of Monte Carlo, it forms, along with the Hôtel de Paris and the Monte Carlo Casino, the so-called Golden Triangle. Today, it reopens its doors following its latest major renovation, in which we are proud to have participated.
One of the Airclos Motorized Retractable Roofs rises above the emblematic space of the Brasserie, filling it with natural light during the day and ensuring spectacular night views for the delight of its visitors.
In this article, we tell you more about the details of the installed roof and the history of the great Café de Paris.
Airclos Retractable Roof to Illuminate the Brasserie of the Café de Paris
On Tuesday, November 14, the renovated Café de Paris opened its doors to the public, and a highlight of the renovation project is its famous Brasserie. An exquisitely designed space that strongly recalls the traditional style of the early years of Café Paris.
The Airclos Motorized Retractable Roof is located in the center of the room, filling the space with natural light and warmth during the day, and allowing enjoyment of the starry sky at night. This creates an idyllic atmosphere that will be memorable for visitors.
It is a Motorized Retractable Roof from the T7000 RPT Series, our series with the best thermal performance, boasting a Uw value from 1.4 W/m²K. This aspect is essential to ensure comfort within the space. Thanks to the thermal insulation, it will be easier to keep the space cool in summer and warm in winter. This, along with the large influx of natural light, is also a crucial factor in reducing energy consumption and the environmental impact of the building.
The dimensions of the system are also an important point to note. The roof has been designed to fit perfectly over the existing 10x10m gap, on a two-sloped incline, with an opening towards the center for greater ventilation of the space when the roof is open. The glass panels have been manufactured with a special width of 3m, minimizing visual obstacles and maximizing the entry of natural light even when the roof is closed.
Aesthetic integration has also been an important point. The roof exactly matches the lower structure from which the large central lamp hangs. Additionally, its minimalist style integrates perfectly with the design of the space.
Finally, this system has been tested in different air, water, wind, and resistance (1200 joules) trials to comply with local regulations.
The installation was carried out by Group Sud, our collaborator in the area, who worked in collaboration with our assembly monitor present at the site. Their impeccable work and involvement are also worthy of note.
This is a major engineering project of which we are very proud. Our entire team has contributed to make this roof bring life to such a unique space as the Café de Paris. Undoubtedly, it is a distinctive element that visitors to Café Paris will be able to enjoy daily.
The History of the Legendary Café de Paris in Monaco
The Beginning of Its Story
This story begins in 1864 with the construction of the Hôtel de Paris and the Casino de Monte Carlo, along with the creation of the Société des Bains de Mer group. This marked a turning point in Monaco's history, attracting a new profile of visitors to the city: high-income tourists drawn by the beauty of the region and the dynastic Principality built on rocks along the Mediterranean.
At that time, the land in front of these two buildings, where the Café de Paris now stands, was used as a stable for horses and a garage for the carriages of these high-standing visitors.
The need to build a bar or café to serve the hotel's guests led to the first project of what is now the Café de Paris. In January 1868, the legendary François Blanc inaugurated the Café-Divan, an Alpine-style café that featured a tea room, a small restaurant, a billiard room, a smoking room, and the Parfumerie du Soleil boutique.
After a year, its success and popularity were evident, and the café was expanded and renamed. It was now the Grand Café de Monte Carlo.
The Birth of the Café de Paris
In 1890, a new building was constructed, but it would not last long. It was demolished seven years later, and in its place, the Café de Paris was built.
The Café de Paris as it was in 1897. Photo from the archives of Monte-Carlo Société des Bains de Mer.
In 1897, the Café de Paris first made headlines due to a curious anecdote. That year, a new and exciting event was held in the Principality: the Marseille-Nice-Monte Carlo Rally, where a new and fascinating invention was introduced: the gasoline-powered automobile. The event concluded in the Casino Square for most participants, but one, Edouard Michelin, lost control of his vehicle at the last moment and crashed into the front windows of the Café de Paris, ending his race in the restaurant.
The restaurant gained great popularity in the early 20th century, especially its terrace known as "La Lézardière," and was frequently visited by celebrities of the time. Even the Prince of Wales, the future King Edward VII, enjoyed basking in the sun on its terrace and is said to have pretended to taste the Café's Crêpes Suzette for the first time on each visit.
Since then, the café has been continually renovated to keep up with the times. Luxury in 1910, glamour and Art Deco in 1930, new arcade games and dance halls in 1960... Until its penultimate renovation in 1987, when a “complete restructuring” was undertaken by the new owners, the Princely family, covering an impressive 10,000 m2 of space.
The Latest Renovation of the Café de Paris
The latest major renovation of the Café de Paris began with an original timeframe of 16 months and a budget of 55 million euros. A complete overhaul that will include the opening of seven luxury boutiques within the complex. All the stores will be located in the Allée François-Blanc, which runs along the south side of the Café de Paris building and faces the Monte Carlo Casino. It's an enviable location for the world's most luxurious brands.
"We are in the heart of Monte Carlo, a place frequented by a considerable number of ultra-rich," revealed in an interview the new president of the Monte-Carlo Société des Bains de Mer, Délégué Stéphane Valeri. "The demand for international brands was very strong. I had to say no to some."
This renovation is particularly important to us because, as we have mentioned, it includes one of our Motorized Retractable Roofs as the cover for the legendary Brasserie.